Pages

Books We Are Reading In Class

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Goodbye Worksheets, Hello Content Creation

I have had many requests lately for more ideas on how to incorporate iPads into math.  I wanted to share one easy way to take information from a math worksheet and transform it into an engaging and content creating activity.

The Worksheet


The Transformation

I used the ideas from this worksheet and decided to fill ziplock baggies with buttons for every two students.  I wrote the expectations on a piece of chart paper, modeled what I wanted them to do using Apple T.V., an iPad and  a content creation app of their choice.  Here is a picture of the directions I posted for the students:

The Result

This particular student chose to use the app, Explain Everything to show their learning.



Example 2

Transformation



I had one of my students sort through a bucket of dominoes to pick out all the doubles.  I placed them on the floor infront of the kids and asked them what they say.  We talked about double facts and how they are an addition strategy.  I then modeled using Apple T.V. how to use the Superhero HD App to create a video to illustrate different double facts.  Then I let them loose.  




The Result

This video was created using the Superhero HD App

These are just two simple examples of how to move beyond an eight and half by eleven sheet of paper and give students a choice of how they want to create and share their learning.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful example of transformational learning. I plan on sharing this with teachers across the nation in my trainings. What a smart student you have! Be sure to let the student know how impressive the Explain Everything video is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your presentation. I will add the Explain Everything app to my own iPad but I guard it closely. I wish the school provided one for the students but alas, not yet. Thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I'm looking in the APP store and searching for Explain Everything - but I get a 'no results' search window! Perhaps it's not available in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your kind words. For the last comment, I live in Ontario, Canada so Explain Everything is available in Canada. Did you try searching for it as one word?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cool way for kids to show their learning! Love the backwards 4's, too. I will definitely add this to my list of iPad apps I love.

    ReplyDelete